Outer Banks Weather-Pick Your Poison
Compiled by Kip Tabb –
This is a pick-your-poison kind of night–no matter how you view it, the weather tomorrow is going to be nasty.
We captured images of the five day and hourly forecasts for the three major commercial services–Acuweather, The Weather Channel, and Weather Underground. The forecasts are similar but not identical. Pick your poison, none of them are good.
We lead with the National Weather Service warnings.
… High surf advisory remains in effect until 5 PM EST Wednesday…
… Coastal Flood Advisory remains in effect from 7 PM this evening to midnight EST Wednesday night…
* location… highest surf and ocean-side impacts will occur from Buxton south. Sound-side coastal flooding threat will be greatest north of Oregon Inlet with southerly flow tonight and Wednesday morning… then shift to sound-side south of Oregon Inlet Wednesday afternoon and evening as winds shift to west.
* Timing… tonight through Wednesday evening.
* Surf height… as high as 8 to 12 feet.
* Coastal flooding… water levels 2 to 3 feet above normal.
* Impacts… large breaking wave and wave run up will produce dangerous surf conditions and localized beach erosion and may bring ocean overwash to vulnerable locations along Highway 12.
A high surf advisory means that high surf will affect beaches in the advisory area… producing strong shore break… dangerous rip
currents and localized beach erosion.
A coastal Flood Advisory indicates that onshore winds and tides will combine to generate flooding of low areas along the shore.
Wind Advisory Statement as of 2:35 PM EST on November 26, 2013
… Wind Advisory remains in effect from 7 PM this evening to 5 PMEST Wednesday…
* winds… south 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph.
* Timing… tonight through Wednesday.
* Impacts… gusty winds may blow around loose objects and create adverse driving conditions for high profile vehicles.
A Wind Advisory means that sustained winds of 31 to 39 mph or gusts in excess of 45 mph are expected. Winds this strong can make driving difficult… especially for high profile vehicles. Use extra caution.
|Overcast with thunderstorms and rain, then a chance of rain in the afternoon. Fog early. High of 66F. Windy. Winds from the SSW at 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 45 mph. Chance of rain 80% with rainfall amounts near 0.5 in. possible.|
|Overcast with a chance of snow. Low of 28F. Windy. Winds from the WNW at 25 to 30 mph with gusts to 35 mph. Chance of snow 30%.|
|Hourly||6AM||12 Noon||6PM||12 Midnight|
|Temp. | Dew Point||64 | 62||63 | 58||45 | 41||38 | 33|
|Wind||31 mph South||27 mph SSW||27 mph WSW||28 mph West|
|Chance of Precip.||100%||90%||80%||40%|
|Conditions||Thunderstorm||Thunderstorm||Chance of Rain||Chance of Rain|
|Wind (mph)||15 S||14 S||13 S||14 S||14 S||14 S||14 SSW||14 SSW|