Category: Community

Dare County Schools Art Show a Joy

As a reporter I get to cover a lot of stories. Some are serious, some fun, some are important because they mean a lot to Outer Banks community. The one story, though, that...

12 Days of Christmas Joy

Tucked away among all the activities of the Christmas season, among the joy of family, finding gifts and giving gifts, there is something special about this time of year—something that has greater meaning than...

Bri Strong-A Celebration of Life

A celebration of life is so much more affirming than the mourning of a death. Bri Blumenthal was only 12 years old when her life ended, struck by a driver who could not see...

Duck Santa waiting for the next child at the Duck Town Hall.

Holiday Cheer Comes to the Outer Banks

When it comes to the holidays the Outer Banks has its own way of doing things and over the years, I have come to truly appreciate how wonderfully different it is. Somehow—and I’m not...

What a Way to Celebrate Christmas

For 27 years the Outer Banks Hotline Festival of Trees has been a part of the local celebration of the holidays. Held for the past few years at the Outer Banks Brewing Station in...

Fellowship and a Thanksgiving Meal

Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday, a perfect combination of family, food and tradition. It is at its core the very definition of the fellowship that binds a community. Yet for some, family and food...

A Review-Almost, Maine at FFHS

Sometimes it’s nice to be surprised and the First Flight High School production of Almost, Maine this weekend was about as nice a surprise as there could be. Comprised of nine vignettes, all of...

Fundraiser Best of OBX Community

There was a fundraiser for Maxine Rossman at Kelly’s Tavern last night. That’s the headline, but it doesn’t tell the story; the statement falls far short of describing the caring, the respect, the admiration...