Category: Community

What’s Up Duck

By Monica Thibodeau – Summer is in full swing and Duck is busy celebrating its tenth anniversary as a town. May 1st marked the beginning of our second decade, and although Duck is rich...

One Man’s Trash… Finds its Way into My Home

By Amanda McDanel –  “It’s the most wonderful time of the year!” chirps my friend Courtney through the receiver. Christmas? No. “Back to school time” as portrayed by the Staples commercial with parents skipping...

Thank You, John Bone, for 29 Years

By Kip Tabb –  There was a retirement dinner for John Bone at the Hilton Garden Inn last night (Friday). Actually it was more than a dinner—it was more of a giant “thank you”...

Jet Pak Flying

By Kip Tabb –  Every once in a while I get to experience something that leaves me speechless. I had a chance to try Butch Stone’s Obx Jet Pak  and here’s my reaction: “Wow!...

Surfers Healing

By Jesse Fernandez –  After their three-year-old son Isaiah was diagnosed with autism, Californian longboard champion Israel Paskowitz discovered that having his son on his surfboard and riding waves together had an extremely calming...

Manteo Weekend

By Kip Tabb –  It has been an extraordinary two days in Manteo. “First Friday” was a wonderful night to be out and just enjoy the evening. Anchored by the newly renovated Dare County...

Zen Pops: Local Ingredients, Local’s Delight

By Corinne Saunders –  Zen Pops, inspired by Mexican paletas, a traditional fruit pop, opened its doors April 12 in the Seagate North Shopping Center, milepost 5.5. Owner Crystal Swain had actually been selling...

Manteo-Better Than Ever

By Corinne Saunders –  “It was a tough time, but it’s amazing how fast stuff got done,” says Manteo Mayor Jamie Daniels of the post-Hurricane Irene clean-up in Manteo. “All my life, as a...

Maggie Cox

By Cathy Baldwin –  Natural Style and Savoir-faire   Maggie Cox has a gentle way about her. Her voice is soft—the tone almost lyrical—with a blended British and Australian accent. She ends most sentences...