Category: Community

Outer Banks Community Foundation Turns 30

By Kip Tabb –  The Outer Banks is a remarkably generous community—a place where charitable giving starts at home and generally stays here. As a community it has come to understand its own needs...

Thoughts on Southern Shores Flattops

By Steve Gudas –  The historic Southern Shores flattop is alive and well. Relaxing in a flattop cottage, the propped up wooden shutters speak of a bygone era, but the marvelous sight and...

Candy is Dandy, Chocolate Is Better

By Kip Tabb –  Ok, I admit it. I’m probably not the best authority on what to get a woman for Valentine’s Day, but I am just romantic enough to think something should be...

Myths & Truths of Second Weddings

By Marie Russell –  The Outer Banks is a beautiful place and it’s no wonder it’s known for amazing beach weddings. In many cases, the bride or groom has vacationed here as a child...

Bell’s Island Blues

By Cathy Baldwin –    Hunter Stuart Turns Blue Crabs into Green   At the ripe old age of 32, Hunter Stuart’s been crabbing for close to three decades. Every morning when crabs are...

Outer Banks Wedding Expo 2013 Best Yet

By Kip Tabb –  Here are some things to know if you missed this year’s Outer Banks Wedding Expo and are planning on coming next year: bring a good appetite, a notepad and comfortable...

Project Purple Comes to the Outer Banks

By Kip Tabb –  Chris Herren created a private Hell and, and at every opportunity to turn aside from the horror he was creating, he instead placed one foot in front of the other,...

Outer Banks Fundraiser for Sonny Holcomb

By Kip Tabb –  Sonny and Dawn Holcomb thought a liver had been found for Sonny’s transplant last weekend. The phone call had been placed, the car was packed and the couple was off...

In Our Beer World

By Eric Reece –  After another long crazy summer of cranking out lighter beer styles, brewers look forward to the fall and holiday seasons to play with heavier beers and check on the experiments...